Tradition welcomes Modernity…how our en-trend 4* hotel emerged
from its 13th century Inn beginnings…
A Look Back
THe History of the Postwirt
- The „Postgasthof“ is first mentioned in official documents in the 13th Century, making it the oldest preserved building in the Söllandl region.
- If these walls could speak….the thick walls have borne witness to many weighty decisions over the centuries. It’s as if the old vaults whisper of the 800 years of Tirolean hospitality.
- In February 1809, Andreas Hofer, Freedon Fighter Commander in Chief, visited the Postwirt Söll (formerly known as Nuimoar). He came, among other things, to visit his old friend and host, Homeland Defence Captain Josef Rainer – our ancestor and major player in the Tirol Freedom Fighters uprising.
- On May 7th 1945 Ritter von Hengel, together with the last party of German armed forces „Wehrmacht“, surrendered to US troops in the parlour of the Post Inn. At the large round marble table which still stands in it’s original form today, to be precise. Thus Söll can lay claim to having played a significant role in war history!
- Over the centuries the Postwirt played host to many historical figures not least His Imperial and Royal Higness Prince Archduke Ferdinand (August 5th, 1897).
- Back to current day – the existing building has been sympathetically extended with the addition of a new building, creating space light and all-out comfort. Yet still reflecting our age-old values of high-level hospitality for each and every guest.
- Sadly in 1996, the family suffered a terrible blow in the sudden passing of our owner and chief Johann Bliem. This was a testing and difficult time for the family, but with the endless dedication and pulling together of the team and family members, we have recovered and proudly continue the tradition of the Postwirt – the Mountain Bike Hotel Söll and Hiking Hotel.